Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Celebrating Will Be Difficult For Many

Those of us who have been adopted into the family of God have a great deal to live for each day.
I hesitate to post this so close to Christmas, because we all want to be happy celebrating with family etc., but I can't help but think about those whose hurts are magnified during the Christmas/New Year season. The pain of grief and loneliness this time of year weighs heavily on many.

*I think of my cousin whose 23 year old son was killed by a drunk driver the day after Thanksgiving last year.

*I think of the many people who have suffered miscarriage the past year who thought they would have a baby to hold this Christmas.

*I think of our neighbor who found his mother dead in her home last week.

*I think of the alcoholic/drug addict who has no hope or desire for anything but his addiction
...and the young family he left behind.  (And the dear grandmother who wrote to tell me of this hurt).

*I think of the young girl who aborted her own baby and needs the love and forgiveness only God can bring.  I also think of the now older woman who aborted her baby years ago, and is still living with the agony of her decision.

 
The list could go on.  I do not mean at all to put a damper on your festivities, but would ask that we all be sensitive to the fact that celebrating for some will be difficult - their difficult situations do not go away just because there is a holiday. True, we cannot solve the world's problems, but that does not mean that we cannot have an influence by showing God's love to someone in our life.  Perhaps praying for and/or doing some kindness toward a hurting person could move to the top of our "to do" list this week or next? 

Christmas time should not be all about presents, eating whatever we want, pretty trees, dressing up, parties, programs, decorating...  True joy is found in a relationship with the risen Saviour who was born a baby in a manger and who grew, sinless, to do the will of his Heavenly Father - even obedience unto death on a cross.  That is surely reason to celebrate all year and good news that needs to be shared! 


Ellen

2 comments:

  1. Very good post! These have been my thoughts exactly, as I think of the people I know who wouldn't be having a joyous, happy Christmas this year because of the hurt and loss they are suffering. And yet, because of the baby born in a manger, we have Hope. Amen! Keep posting! Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an encouragement to me Betsy:)

    ReplyDelete