God’s Word Brings Comfort
I have eighteen 3x5 cards in my back pocket. They each contain a scripture passage that I have been committing to memory over recent months. Throughout the day I pull them out and work on a few of the newer ones and refresh my memory on a few of the older ones. They get jumbled around in a pretty random and changing order.
Last week, I pulled them out and just started reading them sequentially in the order that I found them. The first 8 of them seemed like an amazing, single message directly to me and to my family, as we contemplated the difficult path ahead. Here is what I read:
Rejoice in the Lord alway: and again I say, Rejoice. Let your moderation [steadiness] be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand. Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. … For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. Be not thou therefore ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me his prisoner: but be thou partaker of the afflictions of the gospel according to the power of God; … For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea; Though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof.
Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness. … Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.
And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. … Ah Lord GOD! behold, thou hast made the heaven and the earth by thy great power and stretched out arm, and there is nothing too hard for thee.
Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD.
(Phil 4:4-7; 2Tim 1:7-8; Rom 8:18; Psa 46:1-3; Isa 41:10; Josh 1:9; Rom 8:28; Jer 32:17; Psa 27:14)
Hello Forster Family,
ReplyDeleteI know you guys probably don't have time to check this blog today or take phone calls, but I just wanted to let you know that I would love to help out with some of the things on your list of to-do's. Today is my day off this week so if you do find a moment to post a reply that'd be great. If not I totally understand. I also have wednesday morning free for mowing or garden work.
I'm praying for you guys as is the entire church family.
Tim Kubetz